Monday, May 31, 2010

Taking Chance

LtCol Mike Strobl: I will not remove this jacket and desecrate this uniform.

LtCol Mike Strobl: If I'm not over there, what am I? Those guys, guys like Chance... they're Marines.
Charlie Fitts: And you think you're not? Want to be with your family every night - you think you have to justify that? You'd better stop right there, sir. You've brought Chance home. You're his witness now. Without a witness, they just disappear.

April 9, 2004
To the family of PFC Chance Phelps:
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Phelps,
I'm sure by now you have learned of Chance's death. I do not have the words to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Chance meant the world to me and to all of us here in the Second Platoon. I know parents aren't supposed to have favorites but, trust me, platoon commanders do. Chance was a unique character. Most marines would put into shows of false privalto, Chance would quietly tend to his business. He liked to get people to underestimate him. his quick smile and friendly manner were always disarming and warming, but there was no mistaking, he was fierce in battle as he was gentle in friendship. Please know that he died a hero, more importantly, he lived a hero. It's ironic, but I am certain that if the world had more men like Chance Phelps, there wouldn't be a need for a Marine Corps.

No comments: