Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Black Dahlia

Bucky: [voiceover] Mr. Fire versus Mr. Ice. For everything people were making it out to be, you'd think it was our first fight. It wasn't. And it wouldn't be our last. I already knew him by reputation, record down pat. A regular attraction at the Hollywood Legion Stadium. Lee Blanchard. 43-4-2 as a heavyweight. And he knew me, Dwight "Bucky" Bleichert. Light heavy. 36-0-0. Ranked tenth by Ring Magazine. Fighting no-name opponents in a no-man's-land division. In our first year at Central Division Station, we never spoke. Warrants was local celebrity as a cop. Warrants was chasing the real criminals and not rousting winos and wienie waggers in front of some Midnight Mission. Jew-boy D.A.s with hard-ons for fighters. Transfers, promotions, back then, I told myself I didn't care. I lost a lot of things in life, but never a fight for money. I was trading Warrants for a close-out on old bad debts. The eight grand I was going to clear was enough to maintain the old man in a good, clean rest home for three years. The late-round tank job, enough to convince myself I wasn't a complete coward.

No comments: