Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pearl Harbor

Pres. Roosevelt: We’re building refrigerators while our enemies build bombs.

Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto: War is inevitable. To hide this fact is death. The Americans cut off the oil that is our lifeline. We have only enough for eighteen months, we have no choice but war. There is only one way. A massive, sudden strike. We will annihilate their Pacific Fleet in a single attack at Pearl Harbor.

Earl: Hey, you know you're not supposed to be painting titties on the side of my airplanes, and if you do, don't make 'em lop-sided.
Gooz: They we're lop-sided, Earl.

Gooz: Pride of the Pacific.

Danny: Terrors of the skies.

Rafe: Dear Evelyn, it’s different than I thought it would be here. It’s cold, so cold it goes deep into your bones. There is one place I can go to find warmth. That is to think of you. I just wish I could be back there with you. It’s not easy making friends. Two days ago I had a beer with a couple of RAF pilots. Yesterday, both of them got killed.

Evelyn: Dear Rafe, I miss you so much. It’s so strange to be half a world away from you. Every night I look at the sunset and try to draw the last ounce of heat from its long day and send it from my heart to yours.

British pilot: A lot of people frown on the Yanks for not being in this war yet. I’d just like to say, if there are many more back home like you, God help anyone who goes to war with America.

Admiral Kimmel: A smart enemy hits you exactly where you think you’re safe.

Analyst: Distance is our ally.

Betty: I’m no good at church. Whenever I’m up there getting my slate wiped clean, I’m thinking how to dirty it up again.
Martha: This coming from a virgin.

Danny: He taught me how to fly. I always knew that no matter what trouble I got into I’d never be in it alone. He’d be there with me. Up there, he was always pushing me to be better and faster. He was always trying to protect me. But you know what? I look at myself in the mirror in this uniform and I still don’t know who I am. I look like a hero but I don’t feel like it. Rafe, he always looked the part, didn’t he?

Danny: To Rafe McCawley. The best pilot and the best friend I ever knew and ever will know.

Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto: A brilliant man would find a way not to fight this war.

News reporter: Victory does not come without sacrifice.

Danny: I remember this one time when I was like seven years old. I was always building these gadgets and things. He told me he wanted me to build him some wings so he could fly like his daddy does in crop. And I told him you can’t fly without some kind of engine, right. But he wouldn’t listen. He told me, “Danny, never mind all that just build ‘em anyway.” So I did. And I’m up there strapping these big ol’ wings on his back that we made from paper and glue and these massive silk bloomers that we stole. And he looked so stupid. And I told him, “You can’t jump off the barn in these.” And bam! He busted his leg on a back hoe. Yeah, but don’t you think that Rafe was up there the next day, cast and everything, telling me to make some adjustment on those wings.

Betty: When my dad left, my mom said I was too much to handle so she sent me to live with my aunt. I thought my life was over but you don’t know where it’s all gonna lead. If I hadn’t run away and lied about my age and enlisted in the Navy I would have never met Red. And now he’s my fiancée.

Betty: Rafe sent his best friend to tell you, so you would be okay, so you can move on. You gotta go on living, Ev.

Tony: Tell me if you were dead and you saw best buddy doin’ your girl you wouldn’t come back and beat the living crap out of him? I’d be back so fast.

Gooz: Ladies...cloud the mind.

Evelyn: People in this outfit have way too much time on their hands.

Captain Thurman: We guess. It’s like playing chess in the dark. Any rumor, troop movement, ship movement, spine tinge, goose bump, we pay attention to it.

Admiral Kimmel: I’ve seen these new radar screens, Major. There’s no way of telling whether they’re ours, theirs, or a flock of damn birds.

Rafe: Well, them Luftwaffe boys can fly pretty good. It’s not like, you know, training. You know they’re all about tactics is what it is. See, the Nazis, right, they’re faster than you are, so they’ll disappear and they get up in the soup and they’ll throw like a roll or a hammerhead and they’ll come around on your high side, shoot you from behind like some Americans will.

Rafe: I’ll make a toast. To returning from the dead. Wasn’t all I expected, but, well, that’s life. To my best friend and loyal buddy Danny for keepin’ up the war effort back here at home. You know, where I come from, somebody makes a toat to you and you don’t drink, that’s sayin’ something.

Danny: You know, you’re a rotten drunk, you always have been.
Rafe: Well, you’re a lousy friend. That’s a new development.
Danny: You left her to fight somebody else’s war, and you made damn sure that I didn’t go with you and we thought you were dead.
Rafe: I almost did die you son of a bitch and her face was the last thing that went through my mind, so don’t stand here and tell me and act like it’s alright.
Danny: Yeah, Rafe, well, I stayed. I stayed, you made sure of that. Some things change and I hope you can get used to that.

Chinese pilot: Revered father, I go now to fulfill my mission and my destiny. I hope it is a destiny that will bring honor to our family and if it requires my life, I will sacrifice it gladly to be a good servant of our nation.

Priest: Remember son, hold onto your fait. Remember what Jesus said, “Today you will be with me in paradise, so fear not.” Fear not, my son. You are a man truly blessed. You will die in a state of grace. Remember, pain is temporary, but glory is forever. Hold onto your faith, my son. You’ll be with God, the saints, and the angels very soon. I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. In nomine patris et fili, fet spritius sancti. Amen. Go with God, my son.

President Roosevelt: Yesterday, December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the empire of Japan. It is obvious that planning the attack began many weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace. The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American military forces. I regret to tell you that over 3,000 American lives have been lost. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people, in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory. Because of this unprovoked, dastardly attack by Japan, I ask that the Congress declare a state of war.

Evelyn: If I had one more night to live, I'd wanna spend it with you.

Rafe: Could you not come see me off because saying goodbye to you once is hard enough.

Evelyn: Are you gonna be a bad influence?
Rafe: Of course I'm a bad influence.

Evelyn: You're acting like I didn't love you.
Rafe: Evelyn, loving you kept me alive.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle: Victory belongs to those who believe in it the most and believe in it the longest. We're gonna believe. We're gonna make America believe too.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt: I like sub commanders. They have no time for bullshit, and neither do I.

Rafe: Not anxious to die sir, just anxious to matter.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle: There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.

Admiral Yamamoto: I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant.

Rafe: Miss, I really really lick you. Like you. And I would really like to donate dinner. Buy you dinner. Can I just ask you out?

Rafe: You are so beautiful it hurts.
Evelyn: It's your nose that hurts.
Rafe: I think it's my heart.

Rafe: Not anxious to die sir, just anxious to matter.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt: How long is America going to pretend, that the world is not at war? From Berlin, Rome and Tokyo, were have been described as a nation of weaklings and playboys who hire British or Russian, or Chinese soldiers, to do our fighting for us. We've been trained to think we're invincible, and our people think Hitler and his Nazi thugs are Europe's problem. We have to do more. Does anyone think that victory is possible without facing danger? At times like these we all need to be reminded who we truly are. That we will not give up or give in.

Gooz: How are you going to know they're submerged if they're submerged?

Evelyn: You died, and so did I.

Danny: The only thing that scares me is that you might love him more than you love me.

Evelyn: I love you Danny, and I'll be here waiting for you to come back.

Danny: Well guess what? It's not training over there. It's war. Where the losers die, and there aren't any winners, just guys that turn into broken down wrecks like my father.

Danny: Don't preach to me about duty, damn it. I wear the same uniform as you. If trouble wants me I'm ready for it. But why go looking for it?

Barbara: If the call of duty involves seeing 150 men in their underwear every day, we are here to serve.

Rafe: I can hit a running rabbit with a $3.00 pistol.

Rafe: I know why I'm here. To be a pilot. You don't dogfight with manuals, you don't fly with gauges. I mean, it's all about feeling and speed, and lettin' that plane become like a part of your body. And that manual says that a guy who's a slow ready can't be a good pilot. That file says I'm the best pilot in this room. Ma'am, please, don't take my wings.

Rafe: Miss, I really, really lick you. Like you. I didn't mean to say that. I just want to ask you if I can donate you dinner. Um, buy you dinner.

1 comment:

Sherry Z said...

That's a Japanese pilot not Chinese