Saturday, May 29, 2010

Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights

Katey: [voiceover] November 1958, my senior year of high school. While other girls were listening to Elvis and dreaming about prom dates, I was read Jane Austen and dreaming about college. And then my parents announced we were moving to Cuba, in a week. Slamming doors and giving the silent treatment couldn't change that, but it was easier than admitting I was really scared. At least everyone else was happy. Dad got his big promotion from Ford. Mom got to travel in style, and Susie... I swear that girl could adjust in a hurricane. Here's what I know about Cuba: My high school French wasn't going to help me. I didn't know a single person and though no one would talk about it, Fidel Castro was leading a people in a revolution against President Batista, not that you would know it from this place.

Eve: This is Cuba. Nobody cares what you do here.

Polly: My God. June Cleaver is in Havana.

Katey: "Now the suitors turned to dance and song to the lovely beaten sway waiting for dusk to come upon them there and the dark night came upon them, lost in pleasure."

James: You know, a lot of girls don't like to let on that they're smart.

Johnny: My job is to make you look beautiful. Your job is to make our bodies look like one. Watch.

Carlos: That's right. You make 'em. We steal 'em.

Javier: When I dance, I have no routine.

Javier: It's like dancing with my mother's ironing board.

Mrs. Miller: It's awkward to talk about. Even if you're having feelings about James, certain feelings you're not used to having... The decisions you make now, the choices you make could affect your whole life.Do you understand what I'm saying? You do?

Johnny: If you can't move through your fear and connect with yourself, then there's absolutely no way you're gonna connect with your partner. Listen to me. I know that it's scary as hell to let another person touch that part of you. But if you do... it's worth it. Now forget everything I said and just dance.

Javier: Afro-Cuban dance, it was the dance of the slaves. When they danced, it was their only time to feel free. So they could be a bird, you know...or do a flamenco step and make fun of their owners. Or just be in the sea instead of being stuck on an island away from home. It's a dance about being exactly who you want to be in that moment. It has to feel and look as natural as the waves. Coming and going. Coming...

Mrs. Miller: You have a choice. You can do nothing. You can hide under the bed...
Katey: Or you can work through the knots.

Katey: I am taking you with me.
Javier: I am keeping you here.

Katey: [voiceover] Javier once said that dancing is about being exactly who you want to be in that moment. Dancing with him, I realized I was becoming exactly the woman I wanted to be. We didn't win the contest, but we did win something more important to us. On my last night in Havana we were King and Queen of La Rosa Negra. We didn't know when we would see each other again, but we knew that this wasn't our last dance.

No comments: