Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Grey's Anatomy: Arizona Robbins

Um, No. You asked me who I was. I think that George joining the army is awesome. I am a person who thinks that what George is doing is dangerous, and terrifying, and brave. He's going to serve his country. He's going to risk his life to save the men and women who make it possible for you and I to sleep safely in our beds. I'm a person who thinks that, that is brave. And I am a person who stood in an airplane hangar, and watched them unload my brother's body in a coffin. And, all we got was a flag. My brother died over there because there weren't enough doctors. So, for my money Callie, George O'Malley is a patriot. He's a hero, and I am grateful that he exists. So yeah, the word I use is awesome. That's who I am.

Most people think that I was named for the state. It’s not true. I was named for the battleship. The U.S.S. Arizona. My grandfather was serving on the Arizona when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and he saved nineteen men before he drowned. Pretty much everything my father did his whole life was about honoring that sacrifice. I was raised to be a good man in the storm, raised to love my country, love my family, protect the things I love. When my father, Col. Daniel Robbins of the United States Marine Corps heard that I was a lesbian, he only had one question that I was prepared for: ‘How fast can you get the hell out of my house?’ But instead, it was, ‘Are you still who I raised you to be?’ My father believes in country the way you believe in God. My father is not a man who bends but he bends for me because I’m his daughter. I’m a good man in a storm. I love your daughter and I protect the things I love. Not that I need to. She doesn’t need it. She’s strong and caring and honorable and she’s who you raised her to be.

I... I never had boyfriends. Ever. I had a poster on my wall of Cindy Crawford, and it wasn't just looking at her mole. It wasn't news to my mom when I brought somebody home named Joanne. But you... you dated men your whole life, you loved men. You even married one! You're talking about 30 years of relationship, you know, he's been consistent for 30 years. And all of a sudden you're a whole new girl. So, cut him some slack. Sit down and have a conversation. Give him room to be a little shocked.

Oh no, because you slept with my girlfriend and I find that when I look at you, I want to hit you with a brick.

Jealousy is a green eyed monster and if you ask anyone of my kids, they’ll tell you there is no reasoning with a monster. Dude, run away before I find me a brick. As my friend, don’t judge me for that.

Mark is like candy. Eat it and forget about it. This might be the best idea I’ve ever had.

I told her he was a candy bar.

Until you can tell him he’s awake, it won’t matter. All they’ll hear is white noise and see your mouth moving.

A party in your panties.

This is not general surgery in miniature. These are the tiny humans, these are children. They believe in magic, they play pretend. There is fairy dust in their IV bags. They hope and they make wishes. And that makes them more resilient than adults. They recover faster, survive worse, they believe. In Peds we have miracles and magic. In Peds, anything is possible.

Birthdays are just days like any other days. I don’t like them, don’t celebrate them. No big deal. 25 million dollars, that’s a big deal.

Doing a tips on a kid who needs a new liver, that’s like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

I wish you could get organs delivered instead of going to pick them up. I hate flying. I always feel closer to death on an airplane than in the OR. Don’t you?

Children are resilient. And in all likelihood you’re going to open up this girl’s chest and fix something simple. And then you’re going to hand her back the rest of her life. I’m telling you Bailey, you’re gonna want to be there for that.

That it’s more than just cutting. Peds is more than just cutting. And what you did today was heroic. And you know it.

You know they teach us in med school how not to care so much. We drape the patients so we don’t see their faces. We do a thousand different things to care a little less. You care like crazy and I love that. And I’ll keep loving that even if you decide to lie to your family.

Chief? Chief. I’m going to cry and I just want you to know that I know it’s going to happen. I just want you to ignore it. I’m not cry because I’m upset. It’s just what happens when I get mad at [people of authority. I’m mad at you and I’m crying because you’re the boss, my boss, which brings up my issues of authority with my dad who you kind of remind me of, not that you’re old, but command respect. People respect you, and I know I do, and I know Dr. Bailey does, which is why I’m mad. Because it’s wrong sir, it’s wrong and mean to use a robot to lure Dr. Bailey back into general surgery ‘cause I don’t have a robot. All I have are little kids and they’re not as fun as a robot and they’re not shiny and new and silver and they don’t have things coming out of their belly buttons but I will fight you. And I will win, sir. Because I have something that you don’t have. I have joy, sir!

The kids you can save almost make up for the ones you can’t.

You know, it’s not a good idea to piss off your attending. I like kids, and I like their parents and I like to see them smile. So I like going to get them pudding and playing games with them because it makes reattaching their arm way more fun. I don’t like being used. And I don’t like being lied to even less.

You left him alone. You don’t get to feel anything, because he’s feeling everything. His every nerve is exposed and raw and we have to make him feel worse before we can make him feel better. So if you’re having feelings, then you need to shut them down. You need shut them down and talk to him about his future and remind him that he has one past all of this pain. And if you can’t do that, if you can’t do your job, then you find someone who can and you send them to me.

He makes scratching look sexy.

You don’t think Peds is hardcore? Because you can say that to my face Avery.

There’s a difference between advocating for tiny humans and berating terrified parents. You’re good with kids I can see that. You’ve got great hands and great instincts, we already knew that. And you’re as good as anyone I’ve seen when it comes to advocating for your patients, but until you’ve been a parent, until you’ve stayed up nights with a screaming infant, or dealt day in and day out with a terrorist toddler, or raised a lying teenager, you don’t get to judge parents. You have to advocate for the kids. You don’t get to berate terrified parents. You clear on that?

I like to fix things, people. I like to fix people. You’re staring and you’re sad and I think you need friends that aren’t Owen. That’s where I come in with the fixing. You’re going to be friends with me.I’m an awesome friend.

It’s really bad form to cancel plans with new friends, you know that right?

Are you one of those fake lesbians just having a vacation in lesbian land?

Everyone, we’re sealing the floor. I don’t know why and it doesn’t matter why, but no one goes in or out past the double doors. You check on your own patients then you come back and check to see if there are any others in the cube. We don’t have a lot of hands on deck. And people, do not alarm the makers of the tiny humans. They will eat you alive.

Look, it's not that I don't like Mark, it's just that he's Mark. What you see is what you get. Besides, you like him. What do I care that his abs are where his soul should be.

I am so deeply, deeply, deeply sorry for hurting you so much. I am so sorry because I'm so in love with you, and I will spend the rest of my life telling you that. I'll apologize to you every day if that's what you need, but, please, please don't walk away again. I came across the world to be with you. I love you. Please.

Body block him, Karev. Don't let him near that leg.

It's good that she's mad. It means she cares, right?

I'm a stuck up self-righteous bitch.

I bail. Ok? When things get hard, I walk away.

Shut up. Just shut up. You don't get to tell me that we're not together. We are together. Because I love you and you love me, and none of the rest of it matters. We are together. And if you ever sleep with anyone else again, man or woman, I will kick the crap out of you. Now you sit your ass back down there because that's my baby in there. I don't want anything happening to my baby.

And Mark, you know, is human and clearly has good genes because he's both pretty and smart.

OK, can we just be honest about the fact that is some kind of "bi" dream come true? I mean you get the woman that you love and the guy best friend who's also a great lay and then you get a baby. I mean you get it all. Me—this is not my dream. My dream does not look like this.

I never picked him, and I don't hate him, but I don't want a life with him. And yet that's somehow what I got.

I don't get excited by Mark. I'm not delighted by Mark.
We have a relationship, Mark. Part of that doesn't include you.

It's not all hugging and the Special Olympics.

I mean he gets most of you. The straight you, the Catholic you, the girl who loves baby showers. I just get, you know, the gay you, which is really only about twenty minutes a night...

Someone threw out the gift list, and now we don't know who got what, and people are going to think of us as the type of people who write vague and impersonal thank you notes.

You're not the Callie whisperer. And I'm not a monster for finding baby showers annoying. Everyone woman who's ever had a pregnant friend hates them. It's like a wedding—the bridesmaids always want to strangle the bride. It's practically a rule. The only one who's not normal here is you for acting like you're enjoying this.

I asked her to marry me, and a truck came out of nowhere.

I feel like your wife. I feel like our baby's mom.

She's one pound, one ounce of strong.

She can't open her eyes yet, but I can tell she's looking for you.

It's a traumatic brain injury. It's not boot camp.

No comments: